Chalk Hill Media's Virtual Museum
A few of the items on display
Virtual Museum Index
We are the home of the DuMont Telecruiser, which is currently under restoration. Here is what it looks like today:
This picture came from original DuMont Sales literature. Not only is this "just like" the vehicle we are restoring, it is the vehicle we are working on. It is DuMont Telecruiser Model B, Serial Number 101. We speculate that it was the prototype for the design. It seems Dumont made several of these. This one went to Channel 8 in Dallas, which was called KBTV at the time. The station was subsequently sold to The Dallas Morning News (A. H. Belo Corp.) The bus served in remote duty in Dallas until about 1972, when it was sold at auction to a private party. We purchased it from the estate of that purchaser. Click on the "Dumont Telecruiser" Link to learn more.
Our GE TV camera on display
at Washington's "Newseum."
Meet a New Arrival, "Larry" the Schafer Automation System
These automation systems were very popular in the 1960's and 70's for running FM stations. In 1964, the FCC decreed that AM & FM "combo" stations could no longer simulcast their programming 24 hours per day. Each station had to have its own programming, at least for the bulk of he broadcast day. These machines could keep a station on the air with little human intervention (other than to un-jam them or change tapes. In many markets, this meant the on-air AM jock could also babysit the automation while doing his shift. The result was one person could do the job of two, and station managers and accountants loved it.
If you are wondering why this one is called "Larry," it's because this machine was donated by WELK in Elgin, West Virginia. Therefore it is "Larry Welk," in memory of Band Leader, Lawrence Welk.
This is another "work in progress." Click Here for more pictures of "Larry."
The VTR Room
The Warehouse. A lot of this equipment will be installed in the DuMont Telecruiser
The Museum also includes cars. Pictured in the foreground is a 1957 BMW Isetta. In the rear is a 1912 Buick.
The Museum is open by appointment only. We are happy to host small groups such as Boy Scouts, church croups, student field trips, etc. Please call 903-643-7711 for more more information or to schedule a visit.
looking for additions to the collection. While we have a limited budget, we are
a "not for profit" 501 (c) (3) corporation. Any equipment donation (or partial
donation) would be tax deductible.
Thanks For Visiting.